This fun textured mug rug is the first in the set – Mug Rugs Trio 2 (very original name, I know!). I love the stitch for this design. It gives just enough texture to be interesting, but still lies flat enough that you don’t have to worry about making your drink fall over. This pattern is completely free right here on this page. I’ve also included a video tutorial to walk you through this quick pattern!
*Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means if you click on them and make a purchase I may, at no additional cost to you, earn a commission. Read full disclosure here.
This summer, I’m challenging myself to get through my box of crochet yarn (yay stashbusting!). These are the first quick patterns born from that challenge, but there will be more! Stay tuned for summer stashbusting patterns throughout the next few months! This pattern and it’s companions in the trio are also available as a PDF purchase from Ravelry or Etsy:
- Worsted weight cotton yarn – I used Lily Sugar and Cream. Each mug rug takes less than 30g, so you can make all three with 100g of yarn
- Size H crochet hook – I love these Odyssey hooks from Furls Crochet!
- Yarn/Tapestry Needle for weaving in ends.
- ch chain
- st(s) stitch(es)
- ss slip stitch
- sc single crochet
Finished size is approximately 6.75″ x 5″, gauge is 16 sts and 14 rows in 4″.
Textured Mug Rug Video Tutorial
How to Make The Textured Mug Rug
- Insert hook in 2nd ch from hook, yo and pull up a loop, pull up a loop in the next ch as well, yo and pull through all 3 loops on hook, ch1, *pull up a loop in each of the next 2 chs, yo and pull through all 3 loops on hook, ch1. Repeat from * across (20sts)
- ch1 (does not count as st), turn, pick up loop in each of next 2 sts, yo and pull through all 3 loops on hook, ch1. *pick up loop in ch1 sp and next st, yo and pull through all 3 loops on hook, ch1. Repeat from * across (20sts)
- repeat row 3 until you reach desired length (I did 21 more rows, 23 rows total excluding starting chain)
- Finish off, weave in ends.
- Attach fringe along small edges, if desired (see video for help with fringe)
If you like this design, you may also like the moss stitch mug rug. Or go onto the second and third sets in the Mug Rug Trio 2 – the Linked Triple Crochet Mug Rug and the Halfway Slippy Mug Rug.
This pattern and all associated images are copyrighted. If you would like to use this pattern in a roundup blog post, you may use 1 image and link to this blog post. You may not copy the pattern instructions. Thank you for supporting Kickin Crochet!