The Halfway Slippy Crochet Hat uses half double crochet and slip stitches to make a lovely textured pattern – and it’s completely free! Scroll down to get directions for sizes ranging from Toddler up to Adult Large!
*Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means if you click on them and make a purchase I may, at no additional cost to you, earn a commission. Read full disclosure here.
I love the fabric for this hat. The slip stitches make it less “gappy” than many crochet fabrics, and who wants a gappy hat?! Not me! I used a local hand-dyed yarn from Cedar House Yarns, but you can use any DK weight yarn you’d like. You’ll also need a size G crochet hook. Depending on your tension, you may also want a size H crochet hook. Tight crocheters will benefit from going up a size on the slip stitch rows, otherwise this pattern may become a serious hand workout trying to get into those tight slip stitches on the following row!
All sizes of this pattern are available free on this page, or you can purchase ad-free PDF copies from Ravelry or Etsy using these links:
- Any DK weight yarn, 140-180y. I used Irish Yearling DK from Cedar House Yarns (85% superwash merino, 15% NEP, 100g/231y)
- Size G crochet hook – I love these Odyssey hooks from Furls Crochet! (Tight crocheters may want a size H hook as well.
- Yarn/Tapestry Needle for weaving in ends.
- ch – chain
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- BLO ss – Slip Stitch through back loop only
Size and Gauge
20 rows and 17 sts in 4″ worked in turned rows. Rows should alternate hdc then BLO ss.
Measurements shown are for head circumference in inches:
- Adult Large: 23″
- Adult Small: 21″
- Child: 19″
- Toddler (1-2yr): 17″
When in doubt, make the larger size. This hat is designed with negative ease to stretch on for a comfortable fit. The sample hat pictured is an adult large size modeled on an adult large head and a child head.
This pattern doesn’t have special stitches. Never worked in the back loop? Get info about this technique here!
This hat is worked top down in joined, turned rows. Make sure you keep your slip stitches loose, or it will be very difficult to work into them on your hdc rows. If needed, go up a hook size for the slip stitch rows.
Ch1 at the beginning of a row never counts as a stitch. To make sure you join at the correct stitch at the end of the row, it can be useful to place stitch markers in the first and last stitch of the row as you work.
The hat is worked with negative ease (it should stretch to the correct size for a snug but comfortable fit).
For a slouchier hat, increase the number of repeats of rounds 16-17 until you reach your desired length.
When measurements or stitch counts for multiple sizes are shown, they are written smallest to largest.
How to Crochet the Halfway Slippy Hat
- Make a magic ring, or ch3 and join to form a ring. Ch1, working in ring, hdc 12, join. (12)
- ch1, turn, BLO ss around, join. (12)
- ch1, turn, work 2 hdc in each stitch around, join. (24)
- ch1, turn, BLO ss around, join. (24)
- ch1, turn, (2 hdc, hdc) around, join. (36)
- ch1, turn, BLO ss around, join. (36)
- ch1, turn, (2 hdc, hdc 2) around, join. (48)
- ch1, turn, BLO ss around, join. (48)
- ch1, turn, hdc, 2hdc, (hdc 3, 2hdc) to last two stitches, hdc 2, join. (60)
- ch1, turn, BLO ss around, join. (60)
- Toddler Size: ch1, turn, (hdc 9, 2hdc) around, join. (66) – sk to round 16
All Other Sizes: ch1, turn, (hdc 4, 2hdc) around, join. (72)
- (child, adult sm, adult lg only) ch1, turn, BLO ss around, join. (72)
- Child Size: ch1, turn, (2hdc, hdc 23) around, join. (75) – sk to round 16
Adult Small: ch1, turn, *hdc 7, 2hdc (hdc 6, 2hdc) 4 times, repeat from * once more, join. (82) – sk to round 16
Adult Large: ch 1, turn, hdc 2, 2hdc, (hdc 5, 2hdc) to last 3 sts, hdc 3, join. (84)
- (adult lg only) ch1, turn, BLO ss around, join (84)
- (adult lg only) ch1, turn, (hdc 13, 2hdc) around, join. (90)
- (all sizes) ch1, turn, BLO ss around, join (68, 75, 82, 90)
- (all sizes) ch1, turn, hdc around, join. (68, 75, 82, 90)
- Repeat rounds 16-17 until hat measures 7” (7.5”, 8”, 8.5”) or desired length.
- Repeat round 16 once more.
- Finish off, weave in ends.
This pattern and all associated images are copyrighted. If you would like to use this pattern in a roundup blog post, you may use 1 image and link to this blog post. You may not copy the pattern instructions. Thank you for supporting Kickin Crochet!